Located in the center of Ramstein, the building is a
treasure in itself. It is the oldest building in Ramstein, a protected
Baroque building dating back to 1750 with an alcove including a
beautiful figure of St. Nepomuk and a hip roof mansard. Formerly the
building was used as a brewery, a pub and as the city hall.
Nowadays it houses the tourist information center
and the ´Museum im Westrich`.
Docu Center - Center for Documentation and Exhibition of the History of US Americans in the Rhineland- Palatinate Miesenbacher Strasse 1, 66877 Ramstein, Phone: 06371/ 83 80 05, www.dc-ramstein.de
Since Ramstein Air Base was established in the
1950s the Americans have deeply influenced this region. The Docu-Center
Ramstein focuses on all the aspects of German-American partnership.
Currently a museum building is in planning. Until the new Docu-Center is
finished its changing exhibitions are held at the Ramstein "Museum im
Haus des Bürgers - community center Am Neuen Markt 4, 66877 Ramstein, Phone: 06371/ 59 22 20, www.hausdesbuergers.de
cultural and conference center, is host to numerous national and
international stars every year. The varied stage program including
musicals, concerts, shows, plays and programs for kids attracts lots of
visitors. The facility has a seating capacity for up to 800 people and
was completed in 1986. It is also suitable for conferences, meetings,
exhibitions and parties. The "Haus des Bürgers" has a restaurant, a
bowling alley, meeting facilities for senior citizens and young people
and classrooms for the community's adult education center which offers a
wide variety of subjects. It also houses the German post office and the
city library with its approx. 12.000 books, newspapers, magazines as
well as a large collection of sound and video cassettes.
Schulhügel - old cemetery Schernauer Strasse, 66877 Ramstein
A cross in the old cemetery at Ramstein´s school hill marks the location of the high altar of the old parish church.
Marktbrunnen - fountain at Ramstein market square Am Neuen Markt 4, 66877 Ramstein
The market fountain was created by Professor Gernot Rumpf. It depicts
symbols and objects that are related to the city´s history.
Goose-Anna-fountain - fountain at Miesenbach market square Am Marktplatz, 66877 Miesenbach
The "Goose Anna" fountain on Miesenbach´s market square commemorates a poor underpriviledged farmer´s girl from Miesenbach. The fountain was created by Professor Otto Kallenbach.
Jakobsbrunnen - fountain 66877 Miesenbach
The Jakob´s fountain is a natural monument in the outskirts of Miesenbach.The well with its sandstone frame and the sourrounding area were restored by a group of volunteers. The place offering a drinking water supply has become a favorite resting area for hikers and walkers.
Seewoog- lake/recreation area Waldstrasse, 66877 Miesenbach
The Seewoog lake is an oasis for rest and relaxation for everyone. With its BBQ area and nice walkways it attracts the young and old both alike.
Wasserturm - water tower Spesbacher Strasse, 66877 Ramstein
The Ramstein water tower is located next to the road towards Spesbach. The tower was erected in 1950. Visible for miles around it became the landmark of Ramstein.
Roman Tower Turmstrasse, 66879 Steinwenden
Although the so-called Roman Tower doesn´t date back to Roman
times it is the oldest structure in the village. Several archeological
finds like the remains of a Roman "villa rustica" that were placed near
the Roman Tower demonstrate that people already lived in this area in
the first few centuries A.D.
Am Nanstein, 66849 Landstuhl
The landmark of the Sickingenstadt Landstuhl is Nanstein Castle. It was erected in 1150 AD by Emperor Friedrich Barbarossa (Friederich I) above a 15 meter high sandstone ledge. As a part of the security system of the Hohenstaufen Dynasty in the Palatinate Emperor Friedrich I, well loved and known to his subjects as ´King Red Beard` Barbarossa ordered the construction of this historical building.
It is the place where Franz von Sickingen, one of the last knights, died in 1523 AD during the battle for the castle, as a result of injuries he sustained.
Sickingen was born at Ebernburg Castle in 1481. Although he was only a minor aristocrat he became an assistant to the young emperor Karl V and an idol of the knighthood. Sickingen grew to be a powerful figure in imperial politics. Unusual for his era, he was ready to help anyone striving towards reformation of the Roman Catholic Church. When Sickingen attacked the archbishop of Trier in 1522, a knights` revolt arose. Sickingen was badly wounded at the siege of Nanstein in 1523 and died after the surrender of the Castle The castle contains building material from five centuries. In summer it serves as the stage for performances of the Landstuhl Castle Plays.
A self-guided information leaflet in English is available at the castle entrance for the price of € 1.10.
Historic old town
At the crossroads of ancient transport routes, in the middle of an endearing landscape, history and tradition meet culture and modernity. Buildings with historic flair and ancient alleys bear witness to a long and important past.
Hauptstrasse The Main Street is dominated by half-timbered buildings from the 18th century.
Kaiserstrasse The road connecting Metz and Mainz has been extended by the Emperor Napoleon.
Kirchenstrasse In the Middle Ages this street was the main street of the town with mysterious passages and cellars below the earth.
Schloßstrasse With its different mills and tanneries this street represented the suburb, the ´industrial area` of the medieval town and the gateway to the ´Sickinger Höhe`.
Zehntenscheune - tithe barn Kirchenstrasse 1, 66849 Landstuhl
Originally built in 1734, the building has been renovated and restored using building material from a medieval tithe barn. Today it houses the Sickingen Museum. The museum is devoted to Franz von Sickingen, the last knight, who lived and died at Nanstein Castle in Landstuhl. The exhibition deals with Franz von Sickingen as a person, his political and intellectual development and the historic background (visit on application). The tithe barn is a congenial space for events as well.
Alte Rentei - registry office Kirchenstrasse 41, 66849 Landstuhl
The building dates back to 1767 and was formerly used as the court of the Sickingens. After the extensive restoration the registry office with its historic wedding chamber was installed in the building.
Stadthalle - civic hall/ culture and conference hall Kaiserstrasse 39, 66849 Landstuhl, Phone: 06371/ 92 340, Tickets: 06371/ 92 34 44, www.stadthalle-landstuhl.de The modern civic hall is located right in the city centre of Landstuhl. It is the best location for culture, exhibitions and performances of ballet, operas, musicals and plays. Behind the protected historic facade you will find the most modern technology. The civic hall is equipped with adjustable walls in the hall area as well as in the foyer. It is furnished with variable seating and a well equipped, spacious show stage.
Moorbad Sickingen - former spa and sanatorium Hauptstrasse, 66849 Landstuhl
The extensive, idyllically situated buildings of the former Moorbad, below Nanstein Castle, make an impressive contribution to the view of the old city.
In 1896 the owner of a brewery and a doctor founded the spa and sanatorium ´Moorbad Sickingen`. In the past spa cures were offered to cure guests` illnesses from asthma to gout. People were treated with mud from the nearby moors, the ´Landstuhler Bruch`. The mud was enriched with fango.
The sanitorium existed until 1969, now the buildings house a hotel and a pub, appartements a.s.o.
Didierisches Herrenhaus Kaiserstrasse, 66849 Landstuhl
built in 1828 by a rich citizen of Landstuhl, today it hosts a notary´s office and attorney
Altes Pfarrhaus - old manse Kirchenstrasse, 66849 Landstuhl
home of the Catholic priests until the end of the 19th century
Palais Sickingen Weiherstrasse 16, 18, 20; Nr. 22 is still in its original state, 66849 Landstuhl
The palace of the family of Sickingen-Hohenburg was built in 1745.
Sickingisch-hohenburgisches Amtshaus Hauptstrasse, 66849 Landstuhl
The office of the administrator of the Sickingen-Hohenburg-family was built in 1770.
Villa Benzino Ludwigstrasse, 66849 Landstuhl
In 1700 the Benzino family came to the Palatinate from Northern Italy. They settled in Landstuhl in 1730. At the beginning of the 19th century the family already owned a lot of buildings in the city. The most famous of the Benzinos, Josef Johann Benzino, was a merchant and patron of the arts. His collection of paintings constituted the stock of today’s Pfalzgalerie in Kaiserslautern.
In 1841 he had the Villa Benzino built at the Old Market Square in the style of a North Italian villa. The generous building has been lovingly restored by the present owner.
Sickinger Würfel - Roman gravestones
Alter Markt, 66849 Landstuhl
The monument with its inscription was part of a Roman columnar tomb from the 2nd century AD. Landstuhl citizens call this monument ´our three stones` as it reminds people of a set of dice.
Rathaus - town hall Kaiserstrasse 49, 66849 Landstuhl
The town hall was originally built in 1896/97 as a hotel for the guests of the ´Moor-Spa`.
The Lion Alter Markt, 66849 Landstuhl
The monument is a reminder of the 96 participants to the German-French war of 1870/71.
Kriegerdenkmal – war memorial
Kaiserstrasse, 66849 Landstuhl
The war memorial was built in 1934 to commemorate
the 121 Landstuhl citizens who died in World War I.
Finanzamt und Amtsgericht – revenue office and district court Kaiserstrasse 51, 66849 Landstuhl The building dates back to 1891.
Imperial Palace and Casimir Castle incl. Count Palatinate Hall Willy-Brandt-Platz 2, 67655 Kaiserslautern- Registration for Groups: Tourist Information 0631-3652317 Unfortunately both don't exist any longer - neither Barbarossa's Kaiserpfalz (Imperial Palace) nor the renaissance castle which the Count Palatine had built directly in his vicinity. But the spectacular building hasn't fully disappeared. The ruins which were given a roof and christened the "Pfalzgrafensaal" (Count Palatine Hall) in 1935 are well worth seeing, and in the former living room (or did he perhaps sleep here?) of the "hunter from the electoral Palatinate" today official receptions of the city are held.
The Emperor's Fountain on the Mainzer Gate. Since 1987 it has not only been a center of attraction for tourists and people interested in architecture, but also for the natives and above all children who have changed the artistic and funny journey through the history and present day city of Kaiserslautern into a playground...
Palatinate Theatre Willy-Brandt-Platz 4, 67657 Kaiserslautern In the immediate neighbourhood of the steel and concrete architecture of City Hall is the imposing sandstone structure of the new Palatinate Theatre, flanked by two masks in Carrara marble.
The first represents an African King, the second a fallen angel. Both are art works by the German sculptor Gunther Stilling. The opening of the Palatinate Theatre took place on the 30th of September 1995. The spectators can enjoy musicals, operas, operettas, ballet and plays on two different stages ('Großes Haus' and 'Werkstattbühne').
Fruchthalle - concert hall Fruchthallstraße 10, 67655 Kaiserslautern This hall, the work of architect August von Voit, was built between 1843 and 1846 in Renaissance style, after the Palazzo Medici in Florence, and was originally used as a market hall.
In 1849, it was the seat of the revolutionary government of the Palatinate. Today concerts and large social events are held here.
Spinnrädl - restaurant Schillerstraße 1, 67655 Kaiserslautern
The historical hostelry "Zum Spinnrädl" (The Spinning Wheel), built in 1740, is the only remaining half-timbered building in the city.
St. Martin´s Square St. Martins-Platz, 67655 Kaiserslautern The pretty "Martinsplatz” is the gateway to the old city. It is one of the loveliest open spaces in the City of Kaiserslautern.
The socalled "Spoliensäule" (literally "column of spoils"), which is the gateway to the St. Martin's Square, displays fragments of architecture from six centuries of civic history. The pedestal consists of a wreath of 10 reproductions of old boundary stones.
Theodor-Zink-Museum Steinstrasse 48, 67657 Kaiserslautern
At the other end of the Steinstraße with its many bars and bistros sits
this museum, containing collections of folklore and civic history.
Once the carriers´ inn "Rheinkreis", built in 1817, the museum, with its
picturesque courtyard, together with the Wadgasser Hof opposite, a
former outlying farm of the Premonstratensian monastery at Wadgassen,
forms a delightful close to the old city.
Wadgaser Hof Steinstraße 55, 67657 Kaiserslautern
The property came into the possession of the ruler of Palatinate-Lautern, the Count Palatine Ludwig-Philipp, in 1619. Later it was the widow’s estate of Maria Eleonore, the sovereign of Lautern and wife of the Count Palatine. The splendid stucco room, furnished with objects from the 18th century, serves as a reminder of the building’s history as the residence of nobility.
Humbergturm (Humberg Tower) - look-out
A fantastic view over the city is worth climbing up the Humbergturm.
The tower was built in 1899/1900.
The nearby village Hohenecken and the ruins of
the castle are also worth a visit. Historical records first mention the
castle in 1195. After being destroyed by the French in 1689, the ruin
was restored in 1940. Today the castle ruin of Hohenecken is among the
most impressive remains of the period of the Staufer.
Deer Park Betzenberg
This 62-acre area enables citizens and guests of the city of Kaiserslautern to observe game species that can be found in our hunting grounds or that were once found there in former times.
The park is open daily and the entrance is free. It is located in the southeast of Kaiserslautern. Please get the exact location at our city map (at the top right corner).
Zum Tierpark 10, 67661 Siegelbach The zoo is a popular destination in the western outskirts of the city of Kaiserslautern. On its area of approx. 17 acres the zoo houses about 115 animal species and 415 wild and domestic animals.
The playground, featuring a nature adventure trail for young visitors as well as a nice restaurant, rounds off an adventurous day at the zoo of Kaiserslautern.